Go TO Content

Background

古天興縣治紀念碑

History

The old name of Jiali District is Soulangh, one of the four subtribes of the local Siraya aborigines, Sinkang Village (now called Xinshi), Backloun Village (now called Shanhua), Matou Village ( ow called Matou) and Soulangh Village ( now called Jiali District). After Cheng-gong Zheng came to Taiwan, he pacified aboriginal lands, broke the ground, performed animal tillage and area development and gradually established social order in the area. Since then, more and more Han people came here to colonize and take residence. They established schools and developed education. As a result, the culture of Jiali was improved, the population grew and gradually became prosperous and turned into a Han society. In the period of Taiwan under Qing dynasty rule, Jiali belonged to Zhu-Luo County, Tainan Fu and used to be county jurisdiction. In 1920, it changed its institution status to Jiali Zhuang, Bei Men Jun, Tainan Zhou (the time it started to call Jiali), was promoted to Jiali Street in 1933 and renamed as Jiali Township, Tainan County, when local autonomy was carried out after WWII. Finally, it changed its name to Jiali District after the merge of Tainan City and County in December 25, 2010

 

 

 

Development

The area used to be county jurisdiction, belonging to Zhu-Luo County, Tainan Fu in the period of Taiwan under Qing dynasty rule. Then, in 1895, during the Japanese colonial era, it had jurisdiction over Chayi Matou Police Station in Tainan County. In 1986, Tainan County underwent administrative adjustment, becoming three counties: Tainan, Chayi and Fangshan Counties. Then, in 1897, the government changed Saulang Police Station into Soulangh Branch Office and had jurisdiction over Matou Police Station. In the same year, the government repealed three counties and merged them together to become Tainan County and had jurisdiction over Matou Police Station. In 1900, established the Yan-Shui-Gang Ting Saulang Branch and change its name to Tainan County Soulangh Branch due to territorialism in 1908. Again, on November 1, 1920, its institutional status was changed to Jiali Zhuang, Bei Men Jun, Tainan Zhou (at which time it started to be called Jiali) and its location was promoted to Jiali Street in 1933. In 1945, after WWII, as local autonomy was carried out, the place was renamed Jiali Township of Tainan County. Finally, on December 25, 2010, after merging Tainan City and County, Jiali Township’s name was changed to Jiali District.